Saturday, June 10, 2006

Super-early obsessions (2006)

One of the better things about the aging process and the decision to have a child is the opportunity to review movies from one's youth. 30 somethings, who have made the choice, can re-discover a whole host of films for the benefit of their offspring. 

And after going to Shinjuku's Disk Union, with an eye on finding copies of Bagpuss, I ended up purchasing a Superman box. Attractively priced and worth it for the 1st and 2nd movies alone, it's been two decades since I saw them. Still, it appeared odd to discover how little detail I remembered of them.

The scenes which I did remember were etched deep into my memory. They included Superman flying to Lois Lane's balcony, where a stunned Lois is taken aback by his gesture; and the fight scene in the hamburger bar where Clark Kent attains revenge upon the piece of 'garbage' who had beaten him up after just shedding his super powers in return for the love of the woman of his choice.

However, for me, the acting by British-born American-based actress Sarah Douglas (pictured left) stood out back then and continues to do so now. She played the icy cold villain Ursa, who established a distinct impression upon my infant self. Sarah Douglas was compelling and attracted and scared me in equal measure. 

I link her performance to a later, pre-teen, Siouxsie Sioux obsession. Both women share a similar poise in front of the screen, and both forego any overt showing of emotion. 

I tried to put a clip of Siouxsie miming the Banshees's early 1980s 'Spellbound' on German TV below, but it seems that Blogger will not allow me to do so. Anyway, it is linked here and though it's hardly their best performance, it's worth viewing for Siouxsie in her Goth leather get-up look.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home