Friday, June 23, 2006

A RAVE participant ties the knot

A few words from Sharms partner in Grime:

 "I've had the pleasure of knowing Mark since we both were selected to train at Lincoln City FC'S . School of Excellence" in what must have been 1984 or 85? 

Twenty years ago! And how we both have changed in those twenty years!
 I'm living in Tokyo now, and Sharm's carved a fantastic life in London. 

He attended my wedding a few years ago, and unfortunately I am unable to attend his. But I can't let the occasion go without a few words.

... I have much to thank Mark for, as our friendship has taken in some key life events for the both of us. I was lucky enough to work with him when his radio career began at university and drank in the same bars in Lincoln. 

In all this, Sharm's kindness and friendship has continually shone. And in many ways I would not be in the situation of living well in Tokyo without his influence. 

 Rewind 20 years and I was quite a scared, confused lad from Lincoln's finest council estate: St Giles. My peers were lived in Swift's gardens but the fierce bees that dwelled in many barn's there made it a rough place to reside.

But friendship came with 12 year old Mark - he of Westgate school, and through him I created , friendships with the likes of Huw, Mont and Vaso. I was able to make friendships outside of the St Giles.

But the catalyst was the manager of Lincoln City Under 13's: Ian "Willie" Wilson. He regularly picked us up for matches in his black Mini Metro. I became good friends with Mark as a result of this. We soon began to play football together at the field at the back of his mothers house. It was quite a culture shock for me, visiting mates on Lee Road. Mark and his mother (unlike other mothers) dismissed any snobbery - and it was always there - towards my being a lad from a poor council estate made me most welcome.

I can confidently say that this was directly related to me passing my A' levels and getting to university, and for that I cannot thank Mark enough. Seriously. 

 Fast forward to 1995 and there was the Sharm and Grime radio show at Hull University- something that allowed Sharm the chance to develop the talent he showed when recording the show for University Radio Hull. Sharm introduced items that fitted with the laddish times: "Who Deserves A Good Kicking" as well as naturally taking a responsible managerial role for the program. 

Without his professionalism, we wouldn't have become (as far as I know) 
the only programme who had the studio stormed with enthused fans, delighted with our mix of Meat Beat Manifesto, Iggy Pop, Red Hot Chili Peppers and the Maiden. 

 Looking back, it comes as no surprise that he has made such a success of his career so far. 

And here's to many more awards and success to both he and Melissa.

  Speaking of Melissa - that's one thing that's surprised me - how can a man who existed on cereal without milk and an aversion to all things green and healthy have pulled such a beauty! 

Sorry Mark, but I couldn't see that one coming. 

But please eat your greens to stay healthy for the lass! 

 I can't let this brief speech go without mention of his goal against St Helens in 1987. 

Playing for Lincoln City boys, Sharm had carved a reputation as being a predator within the penalty box, and scored quite a few timely goals. 

But ( and I wish someone had recorded this) nobody could believe the goal he scored that day. 

With a Chris Waddlesque dribbling technique he decided to take on the whole St. Helens team. Twice. It could even have been thrice. 

What is certain is that it was the best individual goal I've ever seen. Think of the classic Maradona goal against England in 1990, and imagine Sharm gliding past not four defenders, but an entire team. 

 Time stopped still as Sharm twisted and turned around players seemingly without concern for the goal he should have been aiming for. 
But he reached there, after covering almost every blade of grass in the St Helens half, and scored a momentous goal. 

 It's a shame he didn't do that more often, but possibly Mark's footballing fate was the reverse of Samson's fate. Sharm should never have grown that Richard Reidesque mullet in the Caysus Calling days. Growing the hair zapped his footballing power. 

Yet perhaps football's loss was the BBC's gain. 

 As you know, it's impossible for us to attend, but we wish you and Melissa the best on this splendid day. 

 Cheers!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home